"The untold want, by life and land ne'er granted,
Now, Voyager, sail thou forth to seek and find." ~Walt Whitman

Monday, June 2, 2008

Summer Idea #2: Keep an Open Mind

"Why are we so full of restraint? Why do we not give in all directions? Is it fear of losing ourselves? Until we do lose ourselves there is no hope of finding ourselves.” ~Henry James
I’ve been away a few days on a road trip to Boston, and experienced for the first time the joy of traveling with a GPS. Except for the occasional odd route that “Emmy” (doesn’t everyone name their GPS?) sent us, it really changed the way I think of travelling now. One amazing feature of this little technological miracle is her ability to correct my mistakes. If I miss a turn, she will announce that she is “recalculating” and then send me a new way.

I also found, however, after toying with Emmy a bit, that I could “disobey” her directions quite often and still make it to my destination. We even had a little game going on one day to see how many times we could turn the exact opposite way and still get home. I think we did it 5 times, and I swear I could detect just a hint of rebuke in each of those “recalculatings.” It even made me a bit apologetic for straying from her set course for me.

So I was thinking. We are all more comfortable with a set course. It is a relief to know that you don’t have to calculate every single turn. However, the pre-mapped path seldom fits perfectly. Maybe there is a construction detour. Maybe you wanted to swing by a certain store on the way. Maybe you just can’t handle the Throughway today. Don't worry, you’ll still get there!

As your career progresses, step off the path every once in a while. Even if you knew you wanted to be a prosecutor since you were 3, sit next to the tax attorney at the bar association dinner and ask her about her practice. Try volunteering a few hours a week or taking on a pro bono project. Go to a CLE in an area that you don’t know about. You may find a new route to your destination, or diverge completely into a path that leads to great happiness! Or as my travels with Emmy have taught me, it will at least make the journey more interesting.

No comments: